- The game shall be played between two teams of 8 players.
- A minimum of 6 players will compete on a side; others will be available as substitutes. Substitutes may enter the game only during timeouts or in the case of injury.
- The game will be played indoors on the tennis courts. The playing field shall be the boundary of the tennis court singles area, divided into two (2) equal sections by a center boundary line.
- The official ball used in tournament and league play will be an 6″ rubber-coated foam ball. Participants must wear shoes, shirts and pants/shorts.
The object of the game is to eliminate all opposing players by getting them “OUT”. This may be done by:
- Hitting an opposing player with a thrown ball below the shoulders.Note: If a player ducks, and this is clearly the cause for the player being hit above the shoulders, the player is out and the throw is legal.
- Catching a ball thrown by your opponent before it touches the ground.
- Causing an opponent to drop a live ball as a result of contact by another thrown live ball. (usually occurs when a ball is being used to block a thrown ball.)
- An opposing player stepping out of bounds to avoid getting hit. Players have 5 seconds to retrieve a ball out of bounds, and come immediately back into the playing field.
- Game begins by placing the dodgeballs along the center line. Players then take a position behind their end line. Following a signal by the official, teams may approach the centerline to retrieve the balls. This signal officially starts the contest.
- Rush Rule:
- Each and every ball retrieved at the opening rush must first be taken beyond the attack line and into the team’s backcourt before it may be legally thrown at an opponent. (The Attack line is the service line on the tennis courts.)
- The first team to legally eliminate all opposing players will be declared the winner.
- A 10 minute time limit has been established for each contest.
- If neither team has been eliminated at the end of the 10 minutes, the team with the greater number of players remaining will be declared the winner.
- In the case of an equal number of players remaining after regulation, a 3 minute sudden death overtime period will be played.
TIME-OUTS & SUBSTITUTIONS
Each team will be allowed one (1) 60 second timeout per game. At this time a team may substitute players into the game.
Rules will be enforced primarily by the “honor system” *. Players will be expected to rule whether or not a hit was legal or whether they were legally eliminated. All contests will be supervised by a field monitor *. The field monitor’s responsibility will be to rule on any situation in which teams cannot agree. THE FIELD MONITOR’S DECISION IS FINAL – NO EXCEPTIONS.
* Exception: During tournament play, All Semi-Final and Final Round matches will be officiated by no less than three (3) Officials. These officials will rule on all legal hits, out of bounds and 5 second violations.
- During play, all players must remain within the boundary lines.
- Players must only leave from the end line to retrieve balls and must return to the court by the end lines.
- During play, all players must remain in the boundary lines.
- A player may be handed a ball, provided the player receiving the ball remains completely within their teams field boundaries. Players may be handed a ball while standing out of bounds.
- A player shall not:
- Have any part of their body contact the playing surface on or over the sideline.
- Enter or re-enter the field through their sidelines.
- Leave the playing field to avoid being hit by attempt to catch a ball.
- Have any part of their body cross the center line and contact ground on their opponents’ side of the court.
- Penalty: Player will be declared out. A player not immediately re-entering the playing area may be declared out.
Matches will be decided using a “best-of-three” format in which the first team to win two (2) games will be declared the winner.
8 vs. 8; Teams must start all games with no more male players than female players: 4 male and 4 female, 3 male and 5 female, etc.
Protests will only be accepted in cases involving use of an ineligible player. Protests of judgment calls will not be accepted.